Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Do you have a Palmaris Longus mucle?

While teaching my anatomy lab I like to through in a few interesting facts to keep the class listening.  An interesting fact I brought up while teaching about the flexors in the antibrachium (forearm) is that the Palmaris Longus muscle is absent in about 16% of Caucasians, usually females, and 4% of males are missing it in their left arm.  I found out that I am one of the 4%.  I wondered about the rest of my family so I want you to test yourself and take the poll.  You'll need a needle (a sewing needle works just fine), some alcohol (for disinfection), ice (to numb) and someone you trust to assist.  Just before you start take a deep breath and hold, touch the palms of  your thumb and you pinky finger together and flex your wrist slightly.  You will see the tendon of the palmaris longus stick up on your wrist very visibly, if you have one.  Now check you other hand.  It wont be hard to tell if you have one or not.  Let me know!  

7 comments:

Dallmann's said...

Hello Johnny (as I used to call you) why yes it is me, H Smedley. It has been a long time since we have talked. I think Jen's wedding was the last time. When did you grow up and become so knowledgeable? Where was I? I keep track of your blog now that it is on Jen's. Mine is dallmannfamily.blogspot Where is all your hair? You have a lovely wife and seem very happy. I am happy for you John. Thanks for the shout out. Heather

Dallmann's said...

Oh yeah. I'll have to check out this test when I get home.

Em said...

this test kinda grosses me out john. and anyway my arms so frikkin ripped i can't imagine there being room for one more muscle. so i guess i got it!

bwahah.

Jen said...

Heather, there you are girl! I guess you saw that Johnny gave you a shout out ehhhh! He lost his hair on his mission and then just decided to shave the rest off - well he bics it as you can see! Isn't he cute as a bald guy! Just like Dad! Not all men are so lucky! Yes, Felicia is definately lovely inside and out! Not trying to be cheesy! I have that muscle in both of my arms that is probably the only muscle I have in my arms but i do indeed have it!

Unknown said...

Oh Johnny, thanks for posting that great HALLOWEEN picture of me.

I always had a feeling you were missing something?? Just couldn't put my finger on it.

Love this blogging business.

Emery said...

For what is the needle used?

prentz said...

I'm sure I do but I have a friend who does the surgery, Dr. Luis Vela who goes to our church. Always wondered where they get the tendon from to do it but I'll ask him if that's his standard practice. (For Tommy John Surgery, that is.)
http://www.samhealth.org/aboutus/newsevents/featuredarticles/Pages/Beth-Stam-returns-to-all-American-form-after-Tommy-John-surgery.aspx