Thursday, May 22, 2008

T.V. Favorites

I was going to leave a comment on Jen and Em's blog to update them already but then Emily did and I noticed mine was growing gray hair and had sweaters on it's teeth.  So I'm here to freshen up my bad breath blog.  If you get the chance to read One Eyed Sleye's blog do so.  This post follows his.  Before I was a big kid I was a little one, who spent most of his time over at his friends or getting bruised up by his little sister (might have deserved it).  I never spent too much time in front of the television but there were a few shows I tried to catch growing up.  The first show I remember watching but don't remember too many details about was Fraggle Rock.  I do remember the intro with the little fraggle man trying to sneak past a dog and getting snatched up by a giant, who was really just normal sized but the Fraggles were tiny, like mice.  

A couple of cartoons that haven 't faded from my memory quite as much were Tale Spin and especially Duck Tales.  I use to get pretty excited about Duck Tales and even sing along with the song.  I thought it would be cool to have a neighbor who was really adventurous and maybe a little off the wall like Launch Pad McDuck or Doc from Back To The Future.  
When I grew a little older and cartoons weren't so "cool" I took  a real liking to Home Improvement.  Tim was the coolest dad!  Once in a blue moon I'll run across an old rerun and think of Jared Holyoak.  That was about the only show I can remember being able to sit down and watch during the middle of the day, right around the time another t.v. great was on the air.  Saved By the Bell was almost like Seinfeld for kids.  You could talk about it to just about anyone and they also knew what happened in the last episode.  Screech, A.C. Slater, Zack "Preppy", Kelly, Jessie, and Mr. Belding were the role models for us kids on how to deal with real issues.  Drugs, first love, lost love, financial issues, being bullied,  cheating, just to name a few. 

Another lasting favorite that I'll still watch if I run across it is The Fresh Prince of Bell-Air.  Will and his relatives the Banks (Uncle Phil, Carlton, Ashley and some others) along with Geoffrey the butler and Jazz got plenty of my attention.  Chad Clark reminded me of Fresh Prince quite a bit.  I just got the same feeling around him as I did watching Will.  Both pretty cool dudes older than me I guess.  
Thanks for the idea Scott.  I'd like to hear about your favorites.         

6 comments:

Jen said...

John did you really remember all those names of the tv stars on your own or did you have to watch the clips first to remember everyones names? YIKES !!!! I loved fraggle rock too and that brought back the memories! I guess my blog is also getting sweaters on its teeth but I just want to make sure everyone is voting for Aim. Anyway I just checked and she has 170 votes that smashes everyone else on the board! HOLY MOLY!!!! Love ya, JEN

Em said...

yo homie smell ya later!

hehe. those were great. i remember singing along to at least the 3 three of those. fraggle rock musta missed me a little bit, but as we discussed before Duck Tails was totally a fav. :)
Whenever I travel (and hence have a tv in my room) I love to watch one of three things. The Cosby Show,Fresh Prince,Animal Planet or anything that used to be on TGIF.
You may have taken most of my answers...but I'll come up with something!

Ging said...

Dearest John- Sibling number 6 of 7- I DO COUNT YOU!! I was going to say sisters and 1 brother and changed it to siblings without realizing I hadn't changed the number. Please forgive the oversight although Emily should be the most threatened by my inability to count. "I love you more'n my luggage" (Olympia Dukakis to the character played by Shirley McClaine in Steel Magnolias spoken) .. another favorite movie from my younger years.

Molly Thorne said...

So I found myself singing along to Duck Tales not 2 but 3 times. Was Tale Spin that one with the chipmunks and the mouse named Monty? Good Times. Just the other day I was some where and watched Saved By the Bell and Jessie's Dad was getting married and she was trying to stop it.

Dallmann's said...

I still sing the Fraggle theme song to my son. I loved Fraggle Rock. Does anyone remember these ones, Mr. Belvedere, The Nanny, Three's Company, Eight is enough, Dude Ranch, Different Strokes, Alf, The Jefferson's, Happy Days, Laverne and Shirley, Knots Landing, Cheers, Beverly Hills 90210 (I still watch all the re runs on this one)There is one, I can't remember the name of it but where there are girls living in a boarding house or something, I can remember their names were, Blaire, Joe, Natalie, Tutti. I could probably go on and on. Apparently I watched alot of TV in my day. Now it is mostly just the Noggin channel for Keegan.
Heather

Molly Thorne said...

That's "The Facts of Life" Heather. Amy wanted to be Blair